The value of art
Art enables people to share their experiences, thoughts, feelings and imaginations.
It is a means by which people can express their sense of identity. It enriches our lives by providing us with a way to see and experience the world through the eyes of others. Art is intrinsically valuable because:
1. Art tells powerful personal and community stories;
2. Art helps us to understand other people’s experiences, developing our sense of compassion and humanity;
3. Art challenges mainstream ideas and presents alternatives;
4. Art shows complex and conflicting ideas in an accessible way;
5. Art helps us see differently;
6. Art encourages the imagination;
7. Art opens a space for critical thinking;
8. Art brings hope – it can help us to imagine what does not exist, and give it shape;
9. Art transforms us, our communities, ideas and situations; and
10. Art provides a public platform for expression.